Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Resolutions, and Why They Often Fail


It's 2010. Time passes so quickly. I think back on how a full decade has passed since the Y2K scare of 2000, and it really doesn't feel like it was that long ago. Normally the blog posts I write are full of information and research. Today I want to write something I have seen time and again, and experienced myself around the new year.


The Number 1 New Years Resolution that Most People Make and NEVER ACT ON:

In 2010 I want to Lose Weight:


Ok.. so you want to lose weight. Most people stop here. Hence, the lack of success... However, if this is the resolution you have made, I'd like you to ask yourself the following questions:


1. How much Weight do you want to Lose?
2. Why?
3. How are you going to ensure that you lose this weight/get in shape/tone up?
4. Are you going to eat healthy and exercise?
5. How often and what type of exercise will you be doing?
6. How will you change your diet?
7. How are you going to make sure you do this?
8. How STRONG is your resolve to lose weight?

Just because you dream it, doesn't mean it will happen. You have to MAKE IT HAPPEN. I could sit around all day WISHING I had an amazing body, but unless I go to the gym, work out regularly, and eat the right things the right way, I am not going to see a difference in my body. Your body is the product of how you treat it. I know this. I know because I was able to transform my OWN body, and I know that if MY body could change, EVERYONE's body can change (for the better or the worse). It is human nature. Our bodies adapt to the environment we give them. I have seen clients bodies change. I've seen a woman with no shape, turn into a beautiful hour glass within months. I have seen women's butts go from saggy and shapeless to round, taught, and about 2 inches higher than they once were.

You also have to WANT IT ENOUGH. On a scale of 1-10 how determined are you to reach your goals? If you are at a 7, you won't see results. You have to be at a 10, heck, an 11, to make sure you follow through with your weight loss plan. There is no magic weight loss pill. Losing weight requires WORK. Losing weight is not easy and can be frustrating. It doesn't happen overnight, and you may not see results for weeks, or months. And then... one day, you go shopping and are suddenly having to buy pants 2 sizes smaller! That's the reward, though, and you have to do the work to get that.


So this year, when you decide you want to "lose weight" make a real plan. If you don't see yourself having enough willpower to stick to the plan, but feel like all you need is a little support, or a little guidance, maybe you should think about hiring a trainer. Maybe a little kick in the rear is what you need. Most people really don't have all the tools they need to lose weight. Most people have no idea what to eat, how often to exercise, what KIND of exercise they should be doing, etc. That's where I come in. Nothing makes me happier than helping people achieve their goals.

I hope you all enjoyed bringing in the New Year, and are ready to make 2010 the HEALTHIEST YEAR OF YOUR LIVES!!!!


2 comments:

  1. Love these tips! You can just state a goal huh? you've gotta think about how you're going to accomplish it!! Great post! I need to bookmark it, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say, I just found your blog and I read all your posts, and I have really enjoyed your thoughts on fitness. Keep it up.

    I have recently come to realize that you achieve success by setting small goals and reaching them. Set a small goal, and when you reach it, set another small goal. That's how you progress.

    At least, it works for me.

    ReplyDelete